Below you can find about the monuments located within the Municipal Tourist Route:
3) The Former Barracks Building – a classicistic building dating back to 1818, situated in the place where the Snail Gate once used to stand. Renovated in 2001. Currently, it is home to Towarzystwo Ubezpieczeń i Asekuracji S.A. „Warta” (an insurance company).
4) A section of a mediaeval wall of the city fortifications, situated near the place where the Holy Spirit Gate once stand, with a plaque attached to commemorate the visit of the troops of Stefan Czarniecki to the Szczecin Region in 1657. The mediaeval city fortifications were 2510 metres long, 610 metres running along the Oder River. They had 4 main gates (Młyńska Gate, The Holy Spirit Gate, the Maiden Gate, the Passawska Gate), 7 circular towers, 14 square towers, 1 hexagonal tower and 15 half-towers.
5) The Church of St. John the Evangelist – a three-aisle, Gothic-style hall church, erected in the 14th Century by the Franciscans who left the city in 1525 following the Reformation. The cloister buildings were converted into a hospital. During the Swedish intervention (1630-1635) period of the Thirty Years’ War, it served as a garrison church, and during the Napoleon campaigns, it was a warehouse (the ecclesiastical fittings being removed). In 1956, the church was given back to the Catholic Church. Since 1957, it has been attended to by the Pallottines. In 1882-85, new monastic buildings were added.
10) The Castle Manege – dates back to the beginning of the 18th Century. It features a small crane for lifting horse fodder, as well as an early Renaissance portal. Today, it serves as the home of the Department of German Studies of the University of Szczecin.
13) The Maritime University – it is accommodated in the complex of public utility buildings on the Chrobry Embankment, using 2 buildings of that complex. The neo-Baroque edifice to the south was built in 1902-1905 for the National Social Insurance Institution, with the neighbouring one, done in Northern-German Mannerism-style, being put up in 1914-21 for the Head Customs Office. From 1962 on, the buildings have been utilised for the purposes of maritime education.
15) The Governor’s Office – built between 1906-11 for the Szczecin Governorate and for maritime institutions. On 30 April 1945, at 8:15 a.m., the flag of Poland was hung out on its front. The southern tower contains a representation of a sailor, the northern one contains a representation of a ship bridge.
21) The Professors’ Houses – since the 14th Century, these were home to the lecturers at the St. Mary’s College. They were rebuilt in the first half of the 18th Century and in the 19th Century, and their current design is that of the 18th Century.
22) The Heroes of Monte Cassino Secondary School No. 9 – it was put up in 1832 for the purposes of the Royal Gymnasium of the St. Mary’s Foundation, replacing the Gothic-style Holy Virgin Mary collegiate church. This caught fire following a lightning strike in 1789, and was pulled down in 1830.
23) Office of PZU „Życie” S.A. (a Polish insurance company) – it was in this building that on 2 May 1729 Princess Sophie Friederike von Anhalt-Zerbst-Dornburg, daughter of Christian Augustus, Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst, was born. In 1745, she got married to Peter III, who would later become the Emperor of Russia, and changed her name to Catherine II. Following Peter’s assassination, she succeeded her husband as Empress Regnant. She was involved in the successive partitions of Poland (1772, 1793, 1795).
25) The Flora Statue – a Baroque-style statue from the 18th Century devoted to the Roman goddess of flowers and the season of spring.
26) The fountain with the sculpture of an eagle – a Baroque fountain made in 1732. Here, a water conduit running from the Warszewskie Hills used to end.
27) Palace under the Globe – a Neo-Baroque building developed during 1890-91. Set up to replace the Baroque Grumbkow Palace from 1724-1725, it witnessed the birth of Sophie Dorothea of Württemberg (Maria Feodorovna, the later „Mother of Tsars”), the second wife of Tsar Paul I of Russia. Its premises are home to medical schools. Situated nearby are such buildings as the Classicist Ionic Palace from the 18-19th Century, a neo-Renaissance palace and a Baroque corner house from the 18th Century. These currently serve as bank premises.
28) Feliks Nowowiejski Music Schools – developed over 1778-89 for the purposes of a Szczecin manufacturer and merchant Georg Christian Velthusen.
30) The Gallery of the National Museum and the „13 Muses Club” – this building was put up between the 18th and the 19th Century. The window lintels on the first floor feature head silhouettes of contemporary Szczecin natives of merit who had made significant contribution to its culture.
31) A plaque to commemorate the establishing of the Polish scout troop in Szczecin, in 1934 – it features Rodło, the Polish emblem used by Polish Scouts in Germany since 1932. Situated 300 m away from the route, at the Aviators’ Square, there stands the monument of Bartolomeo Colleoni, an Italian Condotierri, one of the most eminent military leaders of the Republic of Venice. Unveiled in 1496, it is considered to be among the most exquisite horse statues of the Renaissance era. This faithfully rendered bronze casting was gifted to the Municipal Museum of Szczecin in 1913. It had been put on display, but was later gifted to Warsaw under unknown circumstances. There, around 1956, it was placed on the square of the Academy of Fine Arts. Its return to Szczecin and the ceremony of unveiling took place in 2002.
32) The building of PKO Bank Polski S.A. (the largest Polish bank) – it was put up over 1893-95 to serve as the seat and bank of the Pomeranian Landowners. The balcony features sculptures of a knight and a landlord. In its upper section there is a Griffin holding a shield with the initials of the Prussian King Frederick II and the establishment date of the Borough – 1781. The tympanum contains a nine-field cartouche with the coats of arms of Pomerania.
33) The Head Office of the Post Office and Telekomunikacja Polska S.A. – a neo-Gothic building developed over 1901-05.
34) The St. John the Baptist Church – a church built in neo-Gothic style that was put up in 1888-90 for the Catholic municipality. The interior is decorated with sculptures, and features memorial plaques and stained glass. The main altar was designed by Anna and Leonard Torwitt. It was in this building that on 30 November 1952, Primate Stefan Wyszyński learned that Pope Pius IX had appointed him a cardinal, as commemorated by the monument of the Primate of the Millennium in front of the church.
35) Children’s Hospital – a hospital complex built and developed between 1893-94 for the purposes of the Institute of Obstetrics. In 1904, and during the inter-war period, it underwent expansion work.
36) General Władysław Anders Square – a park set up within the former garrison cemetery. It contains a glacial erratic with a memorial plaque dedicated to the French prisoners of the French-Prussian war of 1870-71. The nearby area is vegetated by interesting tree varieties such as Amur cork trees, Aesculus and Robinia pseudoacacia.
37) Church of the Holiest Heart of Jesus Christ – it was built between 1913-19 to serve as a garrison church. Its front elevation contains a depiction of Christ. Above the entrance, there is a relief of St. George fighting with a dragon. Inside, one can see a neo-Gothic altar, „The Last Supper”, which dates back to the early 20th Century. The vestibule contains a plaque devoted to Cardinal August Hlond, the Primate of Poland and the founder of the Society of Christ Fathers for Poles Living Abroad, which has been the host of the church since 1945. In the vicinity, at Wojciecha 1 St., stands an Art Nouveau tenement house from 1904, with its captivating backyard.
38) St. Adalbert’s Garrison Church – a neo-Gothic-style garrison church put up during 1906-1909. It measures 65.5 metres in height. Its interior contains a stained glass window depicting the death of St. Adalbert, as well as memorial plaques and urns containing ashes collected from the battlefields of World War II.
39) The monument of Kornel Ujejski – dates back to 1901. Until the end of World War II, it was located in Lviv, and it was transferred to Szczecin in 1956. The pedestal contains a lyre tethered with chains and a poem, called „The Chant”, written to commemorate the Peasant Revolt, which took place in Galicia in 1846. On the back of the monument there is a sign containing a message: „May joy be with you Polish People”.
40) The Harbour Gate – set up in 1724-40. Initially called the Berlin Gate, it is richly decorated atop with the coats of arms of Prussia. Its western elevation also contains a depiction of Viadrus, the god of the Oder River, a panorama of Szczecin and a sign in Latin referring to the history of the city and the Szczecin Duchy.
42) The Anchor Monument – initially a monument representing the female figure of Sedina – the apotheosis of the port city of Szczecin. This was unveiled in 1898 and taken apart in 1943-45.
For more information, see the website of the City Sports, Leisure and Rehabilitation Centre of the Szczecin City Hall www.mosrir.szczecin.pl/cit/szlak/szlak.htm