Main page / Tourist attractions / Lighthouses

Lighthouses

The northern part of the Westpomeranian Region is one of the most attractive tourist regions in Poland. Sandy beaches, dunes, seaside lakes, cliff shores, health-resorts, and unique historic monuments – these are the greatest values of this land. The over a thousand year of history of these lands makes them truly attractive for the adventurous tourist.

For decades, the sailors heading towards Westpomeranian Region’s harbours were guided by 7 lighthouses. Nowadays, these historic buildings are not only still-functioning navigation guides, but also great tourist attractions and vantage points.

The following cities, towns and villages await the tourist following the Lighthouse Trail in the Westpomeranian Region:

a) Świnoujście

Tower height: 64,8 m
Light range: 46,4 km 
Light duration: every 5 s

Location:
53° 54′ 57.6 ” N
14° 17′ 03.0 ” E

The lighthouse in Świnoujście is located by the Świna River estuary. It is the highest lighthouse on the Baltic Sea shore and one of the highest in the world. It survived the last war only due to the insubordination of a German lighthouse keeper, who, while the German army was retreating from Świnoujście, did not follow the order to blow it up.

In 1805, on the pier, the first lighthouse was built out of boards and mirrors. Unfortunately, this was not a durable structure, and in the 1828 a steel construction was raised in its place. It is a lighthouse that corresponds with the navigation requirements of those times. It was 40 feet high (approx. 12.6 m). In 1854, the construction of the structure that stands there to this day was begun.

On 1 December 1857, the Świnoujście lighthouse turned on its light for the first time. The white light of the lighthouse, generated by a torch fed with rape oil, was seen from a distance of 24 nautical miles. In the 1920s, the original light was replaced by an electric one. At the beginning of the 20th Century, in the years 1902-03, the lighthouse was extensively rebuilt. It was then that its octagonal section was changed into a circular one.

During the Allied air-raids in 1945, bombs falling into the harbour cracked the lighthouse’s column. This damage was fixed in 1959 by way of injected concrete. In 1996-2000, the lighthouse was restored. It was opened to visitors on the fifth of August, 2000.

The Świnoujście Lighthouse is open to visitors Latarnia w from 10:00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
The Świnoujście Lighthouse features a maritime exposition.

Bunkrowa Street 1
72-601 Świnoujście
tel. +48 91 321 60 63

b) Kikut

Tower height: 18,2 m
Light range: 29,6 km
Light duration: every 10 s

Location:
53° 58′ 59 ‚ N
14° 34’ 56 ” E

This lighthouse is located within the Wolin National Park, on the high cliff seashore, approx. 300 m from the shoreline. It was raised to replace an older navigation and vantage point tower.

Kikut Lighthouse was built in the second half of the 19th Century. By the end of the 1950s, the decision was made to upgrade its optical system. After this conversion, it was re-commissioned on 15 January 1962. Up to the 10.2 m level, the tower is built of carved field stones. An extension was built of brick, and adds 2.6 metres of height.

The entire structure is 12.8 m high, but, due to its location on a very high cliff edge, the level of its light is the highest among all the lighthouses on the western coast.

The entire building is fully automated. Due to this fact, the building is not open to visitors.

Tourists who want to see the building up close, can go for a 5 km walk along the Red Trail from Wisełka, in the direction of the beach. Due to poor signposting however, one has to remember to take the right turn at the parting of the trail.

c) Niechorze

Tower height: 45 m
Light range: 37 km
Light duration: every 10 s

Location:
54° 05′ 47 ” N
15° 03′ 57 ” E

On the west of the village of Niechorze, on the high, 21m cliff shore, surrounded on the landward side by thick forest, the adventurous tourist can find an octagonal lighthouse with adjacent lighthouse-keeper’s quarters.

The lighthouse in Niechorze has been in operation since the First of December, 1866. Up to the height of 13 m, it is quadrilateral, and above that level it is octagonal. Inside the building, there is a winding staircase consisting of 200 steps, and, at the top of the tower, there is a cornice and a viewing deck. The total height of the building is 45 m. On both sides of the tower one can find adjacent annexes for the lighthouse keeper.

This lighthouse was purposely damaged during the German retreat in 1945. An artillery shell destroyed the lantern room, and retreating German sappers planted eight mines in the lighthouse. These were deactivated in time. Following the war it was restored, with a further restoration occurring in 1999-2000, adding building complex to the lighthouse. In 2008, the viewing deck and the lantern were renovated.

The Niechorze Lighthouse is open to visitors every day, from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

d) Kołobrzeg

Tower height: 26 m
Light range: 29,6 km
Light duration: every 3 s

Location:
54° 11′ 17 ” N
15° 33′ 22 ” E

The sea lighthouse in Kołobrzeg is located at the base of the pier at the harbour’s entrance. From atop it, one can view the harbour, the sea and the Spa Park. The first lighthouse in Kołobrzeg was established in 1666, atop the newly raised building of the Harbour Board. The fire, however, was set only when a ship was expected to enter the harbour. In 1709, this building was destroyed as a result of strong storms. A rampart was then built in its place, and between the years 1770-74, a round fort was built on this rampart. After the Franco-Prussian War, when the Kołobrzeg fortress was demilitarised, work begun on the construction of a pilot station with a new lighthouse.

In 1909, in the place of the spandrel beam construction of the 1774 lighthouse, a massive brick building was raised. In this condition, the lighthouse lasted until the 12th or 13th of March, 1945, when it was destroyed by German sappers, as it represented a prominent landmark for the 1st Polish Army artillery.

Right after the conclusion of the military operations, this lighthouse was rebuilt. This time, however, it was not raised in front of the fort, where it stood before, but on the main platform of the fortress itself.

The Kołobrzeg Lighthouse is open to visitors every day, from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

e) Gąski

Tower height: 49,8 m
Light range: 43,5 km
Light duration: every 15 s

Location:
54° 14′ 34 ” N
15° 52′ 22 ” E

The round, red-brick Gąski lighthouse towers above the forest of the flat sea shore. When fabricated, the material for its construction was transported by sea, and discharged onto a specially constructed pier. Its light has shone almost continuously since 1878.

The lighthouse was built between 1876 and 1878, and is located 112 m from the seashore. Its winding staircase consists of 226 steps, while the lantern is 51.2 m high. In 1933, some cracks appeared on the west side of the tower, which were eventually sealed. The building did not suffer any damage during the war.

Gąski lighthouse, with its living quarters and utility buildings, is surrounded by a brick wall. Around it are lighthouse souvenir stands. Also, there are small gastronomy facilities, which, together with a car park, give the weary vacationer opportunity to rest and recuperate on the nearby beach.

The Gąski Lighthouse is open to visitors every day, from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

f) Darłowo / Darłówko

Tower height: 21 m
Light range: 27,8 km
Light duration: every 15 s

Location:
54° 26′ 31 ” N
16° 22′ 51 ” E

Darłowo’s lighthouse is located at the base of the town’s eastern pier, at the entrance to Darłówek harbour. Due to its location, it is exposed to strong sea waves during the frequent Baltic storms. This lighthouse came about in 1885, a pilot station was built of red brick at the base of the eastern pier. From the south, the pilot building was connected with a tower. In 1927, one storey was added with a lantern above it.

Currently, the lantern is 22 m high. The location of the Darłowo lighthouse makes it exposed to unfavourable atmospheric conditions, and during storms, seawater can flood the entire building. Indeed, during winter-time, the northern walls are usually frozen solid. As a result, the wall facing the sea had had to be reinforced.

Despite their thickness, the lighthouse’s walls are damp and filled with salt, therefore the building is not open to visitors.

g) Jarosławiec

Tower weight: 33,3 m
Light range: 42,6 km
Light duration: every 9 s

Location:
54° 32′ 30 ” N
16° 32′ 41 ” E

The lighthouse in Jarosławiec was built in 1838. It had been lit almost constantly for over one hundred years, until World War II, when it was seriously damaged. It was hurriedly repaired and re-lit soon after.

Construction of the lighthouse, located approx 400 m from the shore line, was commenced in 1829. When, in the Autumn of 1830, the work was completed, it turned out that the building was too short and was concealed by the surrounding trees. After five years, the original tower was converted into lighthouse keeper’s apartments, and a round brick tower was constructed. This is the current lighthouse. The tower’s total height with the lantern is 33.3 m.

The Lighthouse in Jarosławiec is open to visitors every day, from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

For additional information on admission and on souvenir prices, please visit our website, or call:

Lovers of Lighthouse Association

Batorego Square 4
70-207 Szczecin
tel. +48 91 440 32 29
e-mail: prezes@latarnie.com.pl
www.latarnie.com.pl

rpo

Zadanie współfinansowane ze środków Unii Europejskiej ze środków Europejskiego Funduszu Rozwoju Regionalnego w ramach Regionalnego Programu Operacyjnego Województwa Zachodniopomorskiego na lata 2007-2013.

-->